Sunday 30 May 2021

30 May, 1597 - The Life and Death of Harry I

Here's what the Admiral's Men performed at the Rose playhouse on this day, 424 years ago...

Henslowe writes: 30 | tt at harey the fyrste life & deth ... 00 | 19

In modern English: 30th [May, 1597] ... total at Harry I, Life and Death ... 19 shillings

 
King Henry I depicted in The Book
of the Laws of Ancient Kings (1321)
Today, the Admiral's Men revived their lost history play, The Life and Death of Harry I, which told the story of King Henry I, the twelfth century king of England. You can read more about this play in the entry for 26 May.

The company has rushed Harry I back to the stage, but despite its solid premiere, today's audience is small. Word of mouth has clearly been terrible. 


Henslowe links



Comments?


Did I make a mistake? Do you have a question? Have you anything to add? Please post a comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment